Develop a fingerboard facility that spans all styles—from Bach to bebop!
This book fuses the great navigational conception of the classical guitar tradition with the improvisational, on-the-fly, solo content/language of the modern jazz guitarist, to create an overall fingerboard concept that is flexible and rich. The result is a comprehensive approach to the guitar fingerboard that combines vertical orientations mixed with side-to-side and diagonal phrasing. Each Bach/bebop pair of arrangements presents similar fingering concepts so that you can see how they are applicable across styles. This will ultimately lead to a continuity in fingering concepts that you can apply to all guitar traditions. The accompanying online recordings include demonstration and play-along tracks, including guitar duets and jazz combos. Traditional fingering and tablature included.
You will learn to:
- Organize and perform diverse musical content on the guitar using a variety of fingerboard navigation concepts
- Visualize, organize, and incorporate implied harmonies, movable scale forms, and other musical vocabulary resulting in improved linear fingering techniques to help you solo, organize pieces, and read music on the guitar.
- Discover contemporary guitar technique concepts like non-sequential fingerings, three-finger phrasing, chord tone outlining, and interval-based fingerings.
- Implement navigational movement across string sets, using movable position fragments, as well as lateral, and diagonal orientation on the fingerboard.
- Perform arrangements of five Bach preludes and fugues (as duets) and five bebop tunes (guitar, drums, bass, keyboards), coordinated in related pairs to help you see similar techniques at work across different musical styles