Enrich your keyboard playing with advanced jazz harmonies.
This workbook will help you play with a contemporary jazz sound, interpret lead sheets, and use upper-structure triads to expand your comping palette. By considering tensions in terms of upper-structure triads, you will develop an organized and intuitive means of using more advanced structures in your playing. These practical exercises and concise descriptions will help you develop your sight-comping and create full and colorful voicings for all chord types. The accompanying CD lets you hear and practice these techniques with a jazz quartet.
You will learn to:
- Use the tension-substitutions common in contemporary jazz
- Organize advanced harmonies by using upper-structure triads
- Develop a modern jazz keyboard sound
- Build facility in applying jazz harmonies in a way that best supports your expressive goals
- Apply tension substitutions to all jazz chord types, as well as in the context of jazz progressions