Play and improvise with more expression and freedom in bluegrass and related styles.
These ideas, exercises, and etudes will help you expand your palette of improvisational and compositional techniques and sounds. Develop your versatility over the fingerboard, and master harmonic and rhythmic ideas on the banjo. The CD has demonstration and play-along tracks, performed by an all-star bluegrass band.
You will learn to build solos using techniques such as:
- Recognizing a melody’s defining notes, and using them in new contexts
- Reharmonizing chords and changing modes
- Breaking down, rearranging, and varying melodic and rhythmic cells
- Arranging melodies in different registers that span the full length of the fretboard
- Drawing from chord forms, tetrachords, guide-tone lines, and other constructs