Learn the principles of jazz harmony, as taught at Berklee College of Music.
This text provides a strong foundation in harmonic principles, supporting further study in jazz composition, arranging, and improvisation. It covers basic chord types and their tensions, with practical demonstrations of how they are used in characteristic jazz contexts and an accompanying recording that lets you hear how they can be applied.
You will learn to:
- Use the essential harmonies that create a characteristic jazz sound
- Expand basic seventh and sixth chords with available tensions
- Understand the theoretical relationship between chords and scales, and how to use that theory in the creative process
- Understand the syntax of jazz chord progressions
- Create within diatonic, blues, and modal contexts
- Construct appropriate chord voicings to strengthen your progressions