Add unique saxophone sounds to your palette of colors.
The saxophone is capable of a great range of sounds, from growls and laughs to multiphonics and percussion effects. This book shows you how to do nineteen different inventive effects, with etudes that put them in a musical context. The accompanying CD provides play-along tracks for the etudes and examples of each sound effect in isolation.
You will learn to:
- Play multiphonics, quartertones, and in the altissimo register
- Perform essential advanced saxophone techniques such as circular breathing, flutter-, double- and triple-tonguing
- Master false fingerings, complex trills, ghost notes, and different types of vibrato
- Use percussive techniques, such as clicking, clapping, and damping
- Produce growls, low “A”s, as well as laughing and blowing sounds
- Explore sounds unique to isolating the mouthpiece, neck, and how to create hybrid instruments such as the “flunette” and the “flax”
- Mic these techniques effectively, picking up minimal extraneous noise