Write for a horn section!
In this book, you will learn how to add saxophones and brass to a rhythm section ensemble. You will learn the capabilities and characteristics of the most common instruments, and how to order them effectively. You will also learn the different roles that a horn section can serve in your ensemble. Online audio tracks demonstrate the key concepts, as exemplified in a complete score.
You will learn to:
- Write for alto, tenor, and baritone saxophone, as well as trumpet and trombone
- Construct common voicings, such as unisons, octave unisons, two- to five-part soli, and open voicings
- Expand your harmony by using jazz chords
- Use brass mutes
- Compose many textures, including melodies, solis, fills, pads, comping parts, background lines, and others
- Score advanced harmonic techniques characteristic of brass sections, such as chromatic approach chords, four- and five-part voicings, tension substitutions, and more